Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Blessed With Boys

  When I tell people I have three boys they often say "Wow, three boys!  You have your hands full."  And I apreciate getting those comments, because I DO have my hands full!  That's why I made that Sleep Deprived Parent shirt came from...and the ALL BOY design - those came straight out of my own experience.   And that was when I only had too.

But my boys are also a huge blessing and joy to me...and I wanted to make a design that conveyed that also.  I'm thinking of "Blessed With Boys."  I'm sure I'm not the only one who's ever done that but it's short common language so I think I'll be alright there.

My one hold-back is that...well, I don't want to convey the wrong meaning with that either.  Just had a long conversation with a friend who spent a year in another country where boys are considered a blessing, and girls a burden, so much so that female infanticide is common.  I know there's a lot of places around the world like that.

But of course I don't mean that boys are a blessing and girls aren't.   ALL children are blessings.  But my boys do overhear the "hand-full" comments sometimes, and they are getting to where they can read now (the older one can, second is learning, thrid one...well, he knows the letter O and U)...and I want them to see me wearing that and feel good about being who they are.  

Maybe I should do a girls design too.  Maybe "Grateful for my girls" or something like that.  Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. I think that there is always going to be someone who might take a message the wrong way - will they be offended by Grateful for my girls and ask why people couldn't be grateful for boys? But then it's hard to make a slogan that has a nice ring to it that couldn't be misinterpreted... My Boys Bring Joy? Gaga Over My Girls? Charmed By My Boys?

    I'm not so good at this, it's a good thing I don't have your job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know...personally, I think "Gaga Over My Girls" is great! You might do great at my job. :-) "Job" is kinda stretching it too since this is more of a hobby for me (don't really make enough money off of it yet to consider it a job *grin*). Thanks so much for you comment.

    ReplyDelete