Thursday, August 26, 2010

Aloha Friday - How About Them Apples

Welcome to this week’s edition of Aloha Friday! Every Friday (well, ok, almost every Friday) I ask a simple question--nothing that requires a lengthy response. 

OK...not long ago I came out with a new apple design....which I did some "teacher" stuff with, like the shirt below...

Teacher's Apple shirt


Which illicited the following comment from one of my followers:

"I really love it!! That said, I'm so sick of traditional crafts with apples (as teacher gifts), the shirt makes me wince a little."


Which I wasn't hurt or offended by at all...in fact, I agree a little.  It's overused...and when I taught I never really understood the "apple/teacher" connection (I know, I know..."an apple for the teacher"...but still).  

So here's my questions (ok...I'm supposed to just ask one, so pick whichever one you want, but if you want to answer all of them that's cool, too):
Do you like the apple symbol for teaching?  Or are you bored of it?  What do you think would make a better teacher/education symbol?  And, any suggestions for other text or quotes I could put with my apple?

Please leave your answer in a comment below.  And, if you have a blog and would like to post your own question you can leave your link at An Island Life.

11 comments:

  1. I think the apple is fine, I mean we all associate it with teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The apple is OK. Not sure what I would replace it with...but I do think its a little...blah..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a teacher and think the apple is fine. If people were not sick of the apple, they would say the same thing about a desk, books, chalkboard or any other item. I think quotes about teaching the future would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The apple is fine for teachers I agree with AngelForever above, so many other items.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how about a ruler... that would be a good one. I really never thought about the apple. However whomever started that one made a lot of $$$.
    My Aloha Friday Link for you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the apple is great many of my teacher friends have apples in their classrooms

    ReplyDelete
  7. The apple is fine. Everyone has different feelings and thoughts on the matter....any matter for that matter :)

    You can always use a rainbow if you want and thoughts of something funny would work. Funny makes people laugh and helps the brain remember.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never really knew that 'apple' is used for teachers, but i do see the connection - A for apple and that is the very first thing you teach the children, hence, apple for teaching - or something like that. Now that I knew that, I can't think of any other object/symbol for teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a teacher so I really don't have any personal complaints with this issue but I do like the apple, I think it's become a classic symbol which will be hard to mix up with other occoupations. Maybe chalk or chalkboards? Books? those seem less catchy to me though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is time for the apple to go away and use some other symbol.

    ReplyDelete